Hi Jerry,
Logic sometimes seems to send me off on the wrong track. I had to sit and think about this whole thing a few weeks/month or so ago myself. And even then I wasn't completely positive until I hooked everything up to see how that gauge read. So that we'll have them here, I've taken 4 images and I'll leave them on my photobucket thing. This is the best of all senders I've found because (a) it works by wiping a vertical plane. Most of them as you know work by wiping a curved surface. To me vertical is better. (b) as you'll see it is accurate to 30 ohm. Most of the ones I've seen might read somewhere between 28 and 45 ohm. (c) it wasn't expensive and (d) the moving parts are nylon so they ought to last. It is the sort of sender I think a detail-conscious guy like you would appreciate.

Here is the sender in full position:
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/JonGoodman/In%20full%20mode.jpg
Here is the ohm reading in full position:
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/JonGoodman/Full%20ohm%20read.jpg
Here is the sender in empty position:
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/JonGoodman/In%20empty%20mode.jpg
And here is the ohm reading in empty position:
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/JonGoodman/Empty%20ohm%20read.jpg

Now having said all this, the tank in my truck is baffled horizontally what looks to be about 2 inches from the bottom. This is a new tank made in Canada and it seems like they did a good job. I didn't notice if the old tank was baffled this same way, but it had developed a rust hole which meant it wasn't going to be used any longer. Net effect obviously is that when the gauge says empty, there will still be a gallon or two of gas in here. Not a problem, but a fact. The sender in empty mode can't fall to the bottom of the tank.
Jon


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end