I have a pretty much stock 1952 Chevy 3100 with a three on the tree. I upgraded my rear axle years ago to a 373 but am still having a hard time going much more than 50 for long periods. This really limits where i can take the truck and the interstate highway is not really an option anymore with all the knuckleheads out there. I would like to keep the three speed but am wondering what folks have done with this configuration to improve drive ability? I have heard a little bit about using the patrick's 356 but am not sure if that would fit my application as i don't have the original torque tube. I would like to hear what folks have used for a donar rear axle, the gear ratio, and how that has worked for you in terms of ability to drive the truck at highway speed with an inline six. Any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
I am currently running a 216 in the truck but that engine is getting pretty tired and leaking everywhere. I did pickup a very freshly rebuilt 235 out of a 1955 chevy bel air and the owner was going the v8 route with the car. However, I am struggling a bit with motor mount issues as there appear to be considerable differences between the motor mounts for a 1955 chevy car and my 1952 chevy truck. The motor mounts are totally different and i don't know if anyone produces a generic set of motor mounts that would fit this application?
Olympia, WA