I didn't extend them to make them larger. I added a small strip of sheet metal so as to overlap the joint (on the inside) then spot welded that to the existing cab. And the cab was just sitting on its top to make it easier to work on. I ahd to replace a lot of the sheet metal all around the cab, but was careful to work on one section at a time to keep things lined up.
Tim
I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur (
https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.
Tim