Originally Posted by jorb
If you have a 1949 3600 it would have a 2 piece drive shaft.
The front shaft is a torque tube which has a bushing and a oil seal inside.
The rear shaft is a open drive shaft with a u-joint & slip yoke and a u-joint at the axle.
There is a intermediate bearing where the shafts transition from torque tube to open shaft.
The oil seal is pressed into the torque tube next to intermediate bearing.
Picture at bottom of Page (u-joint at axle not shown)
Picture of the front shaft. in truck.
Check HERE Courtesy Denny Graham, 1950 3604 Chevy truck driveline Rebuild photo album.
Check Parts Illustration Attached
Yes. That’s what I have. I’m trying to fix the drips at the transmission where the tube starts. It’s not dripping at the end.


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.