The conduit can be cut, carefully, using a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool. From my adventure I discovered the wires inside the conduit were cloth wrapped and the cloth was brittle. Wanting to avoid potential problems afterward the wires were replaced. I went through this learning experience and discovered one task leads to another and another and more. The result was before I was done the ignition switch needed to also be carefully disassembled. All doable, but more time involved than I expected. If I had started with the stock and complete assembly I would have kept it. At that time, I was unable to find one, but did find an ignition switch and connected conduit with the wires and no coil. Taking the ignition switch apart is a little tricky and needs to be carefully done to avoid breaking the Bakelite insulator inside the lock cylinder. Good luck!