Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Are you still using points? The Pertronix coils are for their electronic trigger systems- - - -absolutely not for one that's still using points to trigger the coil. "Flamethrower" is a pretty accurate description of what you'd see arcing across the points if you could see inside the distributor with the engine running. All those fancy names mean is "Here's somebody we can impress with a catch phrase- - - -let's take all of his hard-earned money we can!" People who sell those items don't really care whether it works for your application or not- - - -they're just greedy enough to take your money and invoke the "no returns on electrical parts" policy.

You really need to go back to a stock coil with "12 V Delco" embossed on the side, and a ballast resistor. It's hard to beat what GM spent untold years of research and many thousands of dollars designing to work with the system you have. Ohm's Law isn't hard to understand, and it's absolutely essential that you have a working knowledge of its application if you're going to work on these old rigs.
Jerry
Yeah I may just go ahead and do that. I originally I bought the pertronics coil and photo cell unit but I decided to return the photo cell and go back to the original points. I needed a new coil so kept the flame thrower coil thinking it was similar to the stock coil. I did notice in the directions as you stated it is to be used with the photocell unit only. So looks like I will be ordering a starter switch with a side terminal, a stock coil, and a ballast resistor and I will be a good shape. Thanks for the help everybody