Thanks for the link, JW51- it contained a lot of useful information!
I pulled the dizzy, took out the grease plug, spring, and got the Bakelite fiber plug out. The plug had a slight groove where it was up against the shaft. I cleaned everything up, filled the grease plug and reset the points. It was then that I noticed the condenser bracket was not attached to the plate- the screw was too small, so I replaced that.
While hooking everything back up to the dizzy, I noted that the wire connector to the insulator terminal was loose, so I soldered that.
When I removed the dizzy, I had #1 cylinder at TDC, the bee bee on the flywheel at the pointer, the rotor pointing at #1 lead and had marked the positions. I replaced the dizzy and the engine immediately fired up! It's been difficult starting, so this was a nice surprise. I let it run for a few minutes, turned it off, back on, and it started right up again! Firing on all cylinders!
Perhaps the loose condenser or the poor contact with the terminal on the dizzy insulator was the reason for the problems with firing on cylinders # 3 and 5?
But when I went to accelerate, the engine stumbled or hesitated. It starts and idles fine, but bogs down on acceleration. I saw some threads on this problem, so I'm going to check those out.
Thanks for your help, guys!
Last edited by Davey Do; 11/04/2017 7:17 AM. Reason: add info