| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Otto Skorzeny, Woogeroo, Shade Baby, 68ironhead, Jon G, Wally / Montana, 3B, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost),
165
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,197 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | What was done with my son's 46 2 ton. Original 235 was replaced with a 54 235 from a 1 ton truck.
I bought a NOS GMC gauge. The color is so slightly off and the gauges so dimly lit that the color difference is not easily noticed.
Now the problem with the swap.
The gauge numbers are printed onto the instrument cluster glass. So changing the gauge does not change the numbers.
You can buy a new GMC instrument panel glass that is a direct bolt in for the Chevy glass.
So what is the problem?
The GMC glass will give you the correct oil pressure readings. Though the GMC speedometer numbers are different then the Chevy's so your speed will be off.
Buy a GMC speedometer or correct the oil pressure readings in my head.
Correcting the oil pressure reading in my head seems easier then getting a GMC speedometer because once that speedometer gets change who knows what other problems will be added.
If I knew about be able to get the original oil pressure gauge re-calculated I would of maybe went that way.
If I knew that no harm would of been done with the original gauge being pegged maybe I would of went that way.
What I do definitely know is that I would of stayed with having the original 46 engine being rebuilt due to all the little changes that have popped up putting in the later "direct bolt in" 54 engine. Jeffrey
Last edited by 32vld; 10/24/2017 3:20 PM.
| | |
| |
| |