I have a 1950 3800 with '55 235 that was converted to 12v with an alternator before it came to me, and I'm trying to figure out how it is supposed to be wired to the starting system.
I attached photos of the starter motor, the side stud with the small black wire went to the 12v ignition coil, the larger wires on the switch to the motor came from the battery and the ignition switch as well as what looks like a resistor. I think the ignition switch was bypassed to just need the foot switch to start the motor?
I'm going to rewire the entire truck, but since the system is 12v and not original I want to make sure it is wired correctly, at least the ignition/starter system!
-Starter motor wired directly to battery pos. on the foot switch button -Ignition wired to ignition coil pos. and battery as appropriate -Ignition coil neg. wired to distributor cap post on side and the main wires as appropriate
Hope that made sense! I'm not very familiar with electrical so I hope someone can point me in the right direction or provide a wire diagram applicable to this situation.