I'm doing a steel bed for my 1960 GMC short bed fleet. I thought about the wood, the strips, the finish, the polyurethane, the gouges, the eventual refinish and the money. So I decided to call it a custom steel bed. Using a 67-72 donor long bed. Long beds easier/cheaper to find. Here are a few beginning shots. Don't know if it is worth a "Tip" or just posts.
Of course, careful measuring of original bed and making a drawing is the first step. Will post more soon. Not using my good Ridgid angle grinder for this job.


First pic is donor bed as purchased. Bed liner is the scourge of the earth. Gotta get it off the edges for MIG welding,

Attachments
43.jpg (290.4 KB, 322 downloads)
36.jpg (294.35 KB, 319 downloads)
45.jpg (287.61 KB, 313 downloads)
35.jpg (293.63 KB, 311 downloads)
42.jpg (294.28 KB, 311 downloads)


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn