Freds...the problem with welding panels with stick as opposed to mig is that it takes so much heat to melt the stick and surrounding metals that you will end up with alot of burn through and lots of ragged holes to fill. Mig melts wire and metals at much less temp. so with a very little practice you can learn to weld panels neatly and the less heat also means less warpage to the surrounding panels. Nothing worse than welding in new panels to find they are warped, stretched, and out of shape and you still have lots of burned through holes to fill. I have been welding for probably 35 years and I wouldn't even consider welding panels with stick if mig was even a remote option. Second choice would be gas and brass rod but care needs to be taken because you can overheat the panels with gas too. I think anyone else with experiance with all 3 welding techniques will tell you pretty much the same thing. Good luck with your project either way you go.

Carl


'58 3600 350/4-sp/stepside/big window cab
'59 3100 235/4-sp/stepside