Gents,

I am not the last word on the bodyshop stuff, but this is how I see it.

If the truck is to be driven and exposed to the elements, the primer must be impervious to rain, fog and somewhat to the UV rays of Mr.Sun.

The only type of primer I know of that fits this bill is a two part system..2k primer.

This stuff isn't cheap, but is tough. If this were to be applied with the intent of painting a year or so later, it must be applied properly as it would be difficult to remove later for a "permanent" primer/finish paint.

What this means is the only way to prep the rig and apply the primer would be as if you were going to finish paint it....but you don't!

I guess the other route would be to apply a cheap, single component primer with the intent of sanding it all off and getting back to square one in a year or so. You could end up with rust peeking through if there had been bare metal under the primer before painting.

There are more knowledgeable folks on this forum, so hopefully another opinion will be forthcoming.

Stuart