While metal-finishing is a dying art, a person still has to be able to feel the surface for any
highs and Lows...I do not grind off the finish, but
instead, using a lead float file I file over the paint (using the paint the same as a guide coat)
Then I can work on those area's with a pick hammer and a file...Its also important to mention that its best not to use a steel dolley block...
1. If You are finishing a large low area, a sharp
picked hammer can do You more harm than good...
2. I made My own dolley blocks using hard maple, drilling into the maple 3/8 inch holes and pouring hot lead in 6 holes...That will allow the panel to move without stretching the metal...
3. If I have a large low area..a more blunt pick hammer and the maple dolley will allow the area to lift without a problem, and results will come faster.... BB