Originally Posted by 52Carl
I have an 80 pound lump of pine pitch found on the beach on the Atlantic ocean. It is presumed to have been on a wooden ship at one time for maintaining seaworthiness of these leaky vessels. It has a distinct turpentine smell to it. If the turpentine does not harm the clear coat, it would almost certainly dissolve the pine pitch so that it can be wiped off. BTW, I also have a Y-shaped bow support from a wooden ship. It was carved from a forked tree, as all of them were, to prevent them from splitting.
(Sorry Alvin. I really didn't have any advice different than anyone else had to offer. I was just feeling exuberantly nautical this evening. smile )
Carl

Sounds like you have some pieces of sailing history:
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nchist-colonial/4069


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures