oh, I hadn't thought about the option of finding a '54 box and just using that. thank you for thinking of that option. if I were to go that route, I assume I would need the 2 side and 1 front bed panels and just use the cross sills and blocks designed for the '54 frame. will the '53 fenders cross over as well and will everything line up with the running boards and aprons?
the good news is I don't have any money invested in the '54 frame. just time removing suspension parts. and slightly off topic, but I found that the easiest way to remove rivets is to drill them out. start with a small bit and create a pilot hole. then just progressively go larger until the rivet falls apart. takes a little time, but is very effective. it doesn't affect the surrounding metal of the frame.
ultimately it will come down to what is avail to me and budget. if I can find just a '54 box cheap that might be the way to go. or if I can stumble upon another '47-53 frame it would be more of a direct swap since it would be the correct frame to mount everything to. who knows, I may be able to find a decent parts truck that will have some other parts I still need. just have to be patient and keep my eyes open.
thanks again for the thoughts on the options I provided. and also for providing an option I hadn't thought of. if others would like to chime in and give their 2 cents, it is very much welcomed.