I'm installing a 1" long brass nipple, 1/8" pipe thread, 27 TPI. One end goes into a female fitting on the gas tank for fuel output, the other end goes into a 90 degree fitting that connects to the fuel line and is also a fuel shutoff valve.
I don't want this to leak and I don't want to do the job more than once and I don't want to break anything---especially the female fitting in the tank!
When I screw the nipple into the tank fitting it starts to get tight after just a little turning. How much can I tighten it? A 1/2 turn, 1 turn? What is the best tool to use to get it tight without damage?
Would it be better to install the nipple into the 90* fuel line/shutoff fitting first? I'm trying to line it up and use the existing fuel line so it has to be tight enough not to leak.
Finally, what kind of thread sealer, if any, would be best?
Thanks in advance for answering such basic questions! I know what I know but there is lots I don't know! Jim