Kia Ora from New Zealand.
My Name is Darryl Hughes and I am the current caretaker of a Rest'o'mod 1946 1300 Pickup.
It is and always has been a commercial vehicle, with its early years spent working a farm in the North Island Of New Zealand, after being imported from Canada new. Making it a factory right hand drive.
The condition of the body work prior to the re-build in the early 2000's was a credit to the farmer as there was no rust to be found and only one small panel dent at the rear of the cab caused by loading.
The rebuild was undertaken by New Zealand Hot Rodder Vern Wilson who at the time wanted a shop runabout for his Locksmith/Gunsmith shop.
It features on the cover of one of his books, From Hoon to Hunter. Vern has a long history within the Hunting and Rodding circles.
His attention to detail and quality robust Design/build, without spending silly money has produced a reliable cost effective every day work truck/advertising tool.
I was looking for work vehicle that stood out from the standard contractors van, and to help reflect the higher standard of service that I offer.
After a few years looking I found one online that sounded good so I jumped on a plane to the north island. Took one look and was sold. However I still got under over and in.... all good.
A drive with Vern and sold again. Money sorted, and I was headed to the Wellington ferry then home, grinning the whole way.
I now use "Moose" for my sole trading Decorating business and love the drive-ability of this up-cycled Stovebolt.
It runs a early re-conditioned 350 v8 and a rebuilt TH400 Trans with a new B&M floor shifter.
Holly Economizer 450
Its had a full bare metal strip down and ground up rebuild.
The front end has Mitzy independent suspension with Torana V8 springs, Mitzy disk brakes
The rear end is XD falcon including LSD diff, springs, drum brakes and shaft.
The rear deck has gone from a wooden slat-side flat bed, to a 70's step-side well-side with a hardwood deck and tool boxes.
Wheels are 15" Smoothies running cooper tyres 295's rear and 215's front.
The interior has new bucket seats, fuel tank removed and re-carpeted, new heater, stereo, wiper motors etc.
New autometer gauges.... the list goes on.
We take it to a few shows and have enjoyed taking enthusiasts for rides, has only 16000 miles since re-build and it drives very well, goes round corners like its on rails and will give late model wannabes a fright at the lights if required.
I enjoy sharing this piece of history and love the pleasure it brings.
Ka Kete
From down under
Pics
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Truck%20038_zpsguibb1wf.jpghttp://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Truck%20018_zps8xfsrdup.jpghttp://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Truck%20029_zpsd6khk9wj.jpghttp://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Truck%20007_zpsxlpmkovb.jpghttp://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Chevy%20007_zpsegnh6pb0.jpghttp://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/DarrylDazzaHughes/Wallpaper%20work%20025_zps32ellxri.jpg