Hey guys,
I just acquired a 1957 GMC 100 from a friend that lost interest. The truck is solid but the original driveline is long gone. The engine has been replaced with a Buick 430 big block, TH350, power brake conversion and power steering. The wiring is shot/shorted so the next project is to rewire the entire truck. I have a new Painless harness that will be going in shortly. During the rewire, I am replacing the gauge cluster with a new aftermarket electric gauges because most of them are not working and I hate the oil line for the gauge on the truck now. If that comes loose.... So on to my question. The truck has the original automatic steering column that has seen much better days. The horn button and turn signal housings are shot. I am thinking of replacing the column with a new non-keyed GM style tilt column with a smaller wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions and lessons learned from this type conversion? I am thinking about putting something like this in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-INCH-CHROME-GM-STYLE-TILT-STEERING-COLUMN-AUTOMATIC-SHIFT-WITH-NO-KEY-/162347490857?fits=Make%3AGMC&hash=item25ccaa1e29:g:sdsAAOSwjDZYbq2D&vxp=mtr
Any help/thoughts that you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim.