While waiting on the machine shop, I am cleaning/repairing odds and ends. I was working on the distributor the other day, and got to wondering about the grease cup on the side. Looking at it, I don't see how the spring is supposed to help with greasing the shaft. The whole thing looks pretty strange. I would guess that the idea is to fill the cap with grease, then tighten it every so often to force grease into the distributor shaft. Has anyone else worked on these? I'm thinking about just leaving the spring out.
Tim
I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur (
https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.
Tim