My recent Lukenbach Tx trip convinced me a little more gear would be nice. The T5 with it's .72 5th is a great upgrade from the SM420 with the stock 4.57 gears, it's just that a little more might be better.
This week I found a couple of local 4.10 Eaton HO52's. One in a 4 speed, V8 67 C20, the other in a 71. Today I was able to harvest the one in the 67, got it cleaned up, painted and ready to install. Also started draining the oil in my truck. The plan is to install the 4.10's tomorrow.
I do expect to run 4th more, my gut is the stock 216 is gonna be limited in how much it can pull 5th with the 4.10's in hill country. Flat land should be great.
Hopefully, in the next several days the second set will be available to pull (as in couldn't get to it today). Bad deal is this set has a locker and is $400, vs the $200 I paid for my open differential today. Think I'll get em anyway since they'll let me get a little further back in the woods before I'm stuck.
Last edited by moparguy; 04/19/2017 2:42 AM.