For the last 1,000 or so miles I've been living with a noise from the clutch area that sounds just like a very bad throw-out bearing. It's only when the clutch pedal is all the way down. This week I pulled the tranny twice chasing the noise with NO LUCK.
Bit of history, stock 216 engine, 1951 3600. I installed a T5 about 2 years ago that proved to have more issues than I wanted to address, plus the overdrive ratio wasn't sufficient for the stock 4.57 rear gear.
With the original T5 there was "no" clutch or throwout bearing like noise.
The clutch was/is a new Astro Van 11 inch disk with a new NAPA throw-out bearing and the original pressure plate.
Last summer I changed the 1st. T5 out for good WC .72 5th gear T5 and installed a stock rebuild pressure plate.
The second T5's input shaft and throwout bearing collar was modded exactly as I did the 1st T5.
Somewhere about that time the noise started. When I pulled the tranny early this week I could find nothing that looked like it was the noise source. There was a very slight wear mark on the edge of the throwout bearing that I guessed might be due to contact with the clutch fork at full travel. With the hope that was the problem I clearanced it a bit with a grinder. Again, just in case that was the noise source I added a liberal glop of grease to the clutch fork and installed the transmission.
No change, still noise like a bad throwout bearing.
Laying under the truck with it running and the wife operating the clutch, I can't see anything that looks out of place.
The thowout bearing is not spinning in the clutch fork.
So,,,pull the tranny again along with the pressure plate an clutch this time. I really expected to see wear marks on something.....nope, nothing. I did replace the good throwout bearing out of desperation. No change.
So, it's back together and I'm driving it since there is zero noise except for the few seconds the clutch is depressed.
I really don't suspect the pilot shaft bearing since no noise when going down the road.
So, any ideas on what I'm missing?