I now have my speedometer back...

the cause of my problem was that I forgot to reinstall the 3/8 1" fine thread bolt that holds the front part of the universal flange to the output shaft. This allowed the flange to move so that the speedo drive gear moved slightly not allowing the drive and driven gear to mate up.. On this tranny the speedo drive gear is not pressed on to the main shaft it is held in place by the universal flange and bolt going into the end of the main shaft.
I had thought that the drive gear was damaged but it was not.
Thanks to all who helped me solve this problem.
Funny...I Did not have any bolts left over and my work space is immaculate so maybe a mouse took my bolt ?


1953 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 speed 318 on floor and 1955 235 engine