Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (baldeagle),
158
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 10 | First off you all MAY want to boot me right on out of here... I not a "Chevy" guy,... but on the other hand I'm not a dreaded "Ford" guy either... LOL I got a STudebaker,.. and was just looking for some 'general info'... so maybe the poor old newbie can be overlooked. Needless to say no forums for what few of us Studebaker guys there are,.. Maybe I can get "adopted" here..? I'll be glad to add back with whatever I learn or see..??
SO I was curious... we got any folks here that got any knowledge about chopping, stretching, etc...
I got 'big plans',... but don't want to get in over my head. Not REALLY afraid to jump in and try ANYTHING. Got good common sense,... and decent skills. Just don't want to get too far,.. and ruin my cab,.. and have to try and round up another one.
I got a '46 Studebaker M5 pickup Here's what I was HOPING to do. I DO PLAN on chopping the top 2 or 3 inches. I know that will require adding a strip at LEAST a couple inches wide to make up for moving the front post forward... Also plan to add in a sunroof.
What I WANTED to do was see about adding about a 6" "stretch" threw the doors (making the cab longer) I figure since I'd have the roof cut into already,.. that part is just adding 6 extra inches.
WHAT ALL is involved with cutting the floor and doors into..?? Looks kinda complicated,.. but then again with the right knowledge,... most things can be overcome. Maybe I just need to get the right information. Also would it be easier to swing the hinges around and make suicide doors on it... would the extra weight be better in the long run and have less chance to sag in the years to come?? Could some people that (I hope) have experience please post (or send me info) that can help me. Cab goes to the sandblaster tomorrow,.. and when I get it back in two weeks,.. cutting and chopping begins.
Finally,... I also plan to add 12 inches on back behind the door (kinda like an 'extended cab'). I think that will be the easiest of the projects. Lots of cutting and rewelding,.. but it's just cut loose, move, and reweld. Or is that an over simplification.
I'd be interested in hearing what all you folks have to say. Don't want to screw this up... Studebaker cabs are hard to come by... not to mention the 'down' time of looking for another one, added expense of buying another one,.. added expense of sandblasting it, etc... the cost just multiply. Please chime in... any info is good info. THANKS
Oh I meant to mention.. I DO have an extra set of doors.
Chris Let's BUILD Something :-)
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| The New Guy | 05/08/2006 12:46 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| Flxible | 05/08/2006 1:11 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| bobt | 05/08/2006 1:34 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| brent563100 | 05/08/2006 4:00 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| MARTINSR | 05/08/2006 4:32 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| Tomy2tone01 | 05/08/2006 4:56 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| The New Guy | 05/08/2006 2:22 PM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| fireout1 | 07/21/2006 2:04 AM |
Re: cutting, chopping, stretching, - how to
| LONGBOX55 | 07/21/2006 2:46 AM | |
| |