Second what Joe said, nothing beats real life driving experience. I knew my 37 Buick with a 52 263 straight eight was a torque monster so after doing away with the torque tube rear I went with a 2.73 GM 10 bolt and was very pleased with my choice-- IN TEXAS. Got almost 16 mpg(great for a straight 8) and cruised 63mph at 2100 rpm. Then I made a trip through Missouri and it was a PIG in the hills; heating, pinging, and under constant lugging condition in high and second was too low of gearing. Now going with a 4.11 rear and overdrive transmission to make it much more versatile. Will have a 2.88 final in OD and the deeper gear for climbing in straight drive. This is the exact same set up all the cars back in the overdrive days used so I guess even the engineers without computers were not dummies.


Evan