Burgie,
I reached the same conclusions that you did and looked for an HVLP turbine system. I did not have a large air compressor and did not want to deal with water in the lines (or buying expensive systems to avoid this serious problem). I figure I saved about 30% on paint/materials by using an HVLP system.
The
Accuspray 23K system produced an excellent finish on my Suburban (PPG DCC 2-part (3-part?), single stage Urethane). This model has a non-bleed spray gun.
I also used this system with an acrylic enamel on my engine, with excellent results.
The prices and service from the company at the above link were excellent. Ask them for advice on primer tip (Zero Rust tip) and finish tip.
If you have only used compressed-air spray guns, you will have to learn to hold the HVLP gun much closer to the surface to be painted.
Tim