Oddball-looking isn't necessarily good. How do you intend to correct the totally unsuitable jetting, CFM rating, and power enrichment system? Why do something completely wrong to begin with when much more logical and suitable options are available? Just to be different? My father was involved in field-testing the very first Rochester 4G carburetors to hit the market in 1953, and they went through some massive teething pains. It's entirely possible your oddball carb was an unsuitable piece of junk- - - -otherwise it wouldn't have been replaced with a more conventional carb after a short, unhappy life. Some of the fixes on the 4GC that Dad and a Rochester field engineer came up with in a little shop in Nashville Tennessee in 1953 became standard Rochester production line procedures in 54.
Jerry
Yes I want to do something completely wrong, because its different and oddball. I enjoy trying to make something work that wasnt intended in the first place. It might work , it might not. If people didn't experiment we would all be driving stock trucks. I agree there is probably a reason it was used one year but it could have also been because they were making the more common 2G at the same time. Thats why I ask questions because I don't know . Thanks for the story about your father I find things like that very interesting.