Dave
The engine got a complete upgrade with new pistons, rings, hardened valves...by an engine shop. I have added a rebuild kit for carb, new coil, points, condenser, rotor, plugs and wires. My idle mixture is at 1.5 turns out and tomorrow I will increase the idle speed as you suggest. I'm sure I'm getting fuel...it smells like I flooded it a couple of times.
to time it I turned the engine by hand to find the "ball" on the flywheel, but it had a #5 beside it. I checked the piston with a feeler wire and found that the #5 piston was TDC rather than the #1! My manual assured me the truck should be timed with #1 at TDC so I continued turning until I got #1 to TDC and proceeded to set the dist as you described. Could it be possible I should be using the #5 at TDC? Would that be 180 degrees off of #1?? You and I are on same page in timing it with the manual, but there is no ball on the flywheel other than the one labeled #5. The order of fire is 1,5,3,6,2,4. Any thoughts (other than I'm looney)?