1951 3100

Doing a complete frame off restore, so I went and re-read , from the archives, all the pros and cons of grinding the frame rivets off and going back with bolts. I really did not see any down-side to doing this. Although my truck will not be a daily driver, I see no reason whatsoever that even if it was, it would not matter. I went with all Grade 8 stuff, (bolts, flats, locks, nuts), which is probably overkill, but I have a real good source on them.

I didn't keep count on how many bolts it takes to replace all the hangers and brackets and cross members, but I do know this, it takes a BUNCH. I don't remember grinding and air-punching that many rivets out, but I must have. For those considering doing this, it ain't that bad a job.

While everything was off, we sand-blasted the entire thing, and I coated all of it with Ospho, cause there are places you will not be able to get to, once everything is back assembled. It's all been painted now and it's a proud moment to see that kind of progress. For those that have done this, you know.

There was no question in any of this, but comments from anybody that has done this, are welcomed.

Kind of doesn't matter now, considering I've done it.

Mike


Mike

1951 3100 5 window