I was leaning towards the condenser being the culprit after ruling everything else out. I knew it wasn't a resistor problem or I would have no or extremely low voltage at the coil. It's nothing more than a basic RLC circuit and without the capacitance in place to soften the blow of the inductive kickback from the coil the points were taking the brunt of it. So today I started at square one. Gapped the fresh points at .022 per the shop manual, reset the distributor which was also off, replaced the condensor. It fired right up and settled into the smoothest idle it ever has. Set the rpm at 500 with no vacuum advance and found my timing to be 3 degrees advanced and it was running smooth as silk. Drove it for a bit and it runs like it never has before. Beautiful throttle response, Tom Langdon holly weber carb, strong acceleration. It's a completely different truck now.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado