Greetings all,
I have a locked up '56 261 that I have pulled out of my '48 2-ton. I would like to dismantle it to send it out for possible rebuilding. Since I am a newbie to all this engine rebuilding, I have been looking through the various blogs/procedures/manuals and all revolve around the discussion of removing the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, etc., first to get the crank out, then removing pistons, and so on to get the block ready for rebuilding/cleaning/checking for cracks/etc/
So my question is if the flywheel has to come out first that means being able to spin the engine, I can't do that. So is there a preferred method to getting everything apart in a locked up engine? or do I just go down the path of disconnecting the crank/connecting rods from the pistons, then beating out the pistons with the crankshaft/connecting rods in place. Once the pistons are out, now the crank should be free at this time, I can then follow "typical" disassembly.
(All the rust for my engine is at or above the pistons nothing is below the pistons, I am assuming the crank will be free after that).
Thanks for the various ideas.
Nick