Quote
Originally posted by GMONIZ:
Brian, I just started doing the bodywork on the suburban fenders. I am using a Martin set and a friction disk from Sunchaser tools with success. Ken with Sunchaser says that I should prep my dollies and hammers by shaping them with a grinder/sander. What is your opinion on this? He provides a tape that shows the process and states that that the tools from the factory are not properly curved and need to be resurfaced smooth. Have you used a shrinking disk? Do you have any pointers? Thanks
I like Ken as a person, and he is a honest business man, but he is no videographer! I have the video, it is actually a two tape set. I has the "dressing" of the dollies and hammers and the friction disc instruction. The info is all good, the problem is it is MIND NUMBING, SUICIDE INDUCING, BORING. He could say everything he has on ONE video easy. They are really bad.

I am not sure of his actual comments on dressing tools but I would imagine he is saying "some" of these tools need to be dressed. I know that I have some high quality hammers and dollies that needed nothing, and I have used them since the day I bought them as they came.

I do have his friction disc and doing late model collision repair as I do I have only pulled it out (along with the very heavy 15 amp grinder I bought from him) once in a blue moon.

I can say, they are spectacular tools. They do everything he says they do.

Listen, if you want to see some good instruction on the use of the tool check out Hotrodders.com body and paint forum. Look for threads by a guy named "Randy Fergison" or "John Kelly". These guys are masters at panel fabrication or repair.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.