I need some guidance on my speedometer. Not reading at all moving down the road. My first test was to hook the cable to a drill. The drill moved the gauge but it was bouncing as much as 15 - 20 MPH. Based on the previous comment I guess this is bad? I was assuming this was not a problem and believed the problem was the speedo gear in the transmission that drives the cable. (It could still be bad also because there is zero movement while driving the truck) Is a bouncing speedometer repairable (by a total amateur with good mechanical aptitude) or does it need to be replaced. I have changed the plastic gear in a transmission on am automatic transmission in a 72 olds before but a lot of the post I have seen on the subject here suggest matching the gear could be a challenge.

Last edited by dgrinnan; 04/25/2016 4:48 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100