I agree with doing the adjustments in the manual. When I got my 58 Burb the steering was tight and smooth but didn't have much "resistance" when turning the steering wheel with the front end jacked up. It didn't have the required 1 or 2 pounds (can't remember which) as described in the manual. After proper adjustment it was right on.
Fast forward about 4-5 months and I started getting slop in the steering wheel. It got progressively worse until I starting getting uncomfortable on the road. Turns out the big nut on the bottom of the steering box had worked loose and allowed the guts to go more and more out of adjustment. I had to redo the adjustment and really tighten that nut down.
Anyway, that is a long way of saying that the box is probably just a little "loose" and will be back in fine form once you do the prescribed adjustments. Be sure to tighten the big nut down tight so it doesn't back off on you.