The clevis is threaded onto the E brake cable. Locked in place with a nut. I like to pull the cotter key and remove the pin when adjusting the brake shoes. When the brakes are adjusted, I pull the cable as far as I can. Adjust the clevis to meet the Cross shaft and then install the pin. A little movement will engage the E brake and the pedal will be away from the floor. I am not strong enough to engage the E brake by hand so no issue with pulling the shoes to the drum. I do like to use chassis grease and a bit of antiseize on the threaded part of the cable ends. I have been known to pack grease into the rubber boot as well. Seems to help the cable not stick in the housing. Adjust both sides the same way, and presto neato the E brake works well. The spring and washer bind the release rod and hold the tension until the handle is released. A solid thunk when the release is pulled means it works. Some of the replacement cables are sorta elastic. After a while they quit stretching and work consistently. So some further adjusting may be needed. There is one more adjustment that can be checked. You must remove the drum to get to it:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0522.htm It sets up the lever arm to the brake shoe. Not too hard. But might need to be done.
I know this is for the older truck. If the brakes in the 54 are different, then skip the part about the lever arm and brake shoe. The cables are adjusted the same for early and late.