I've been trying to fix a hot starting issue with our 6 volt 235.
Usually when hot, they starter would "click" but not turn the engine. Since the battery was relatively new I assumed we were dealing with a starter issue.
We bought our first rebuilt Napa starter (solenoid type). It performed worse than the original starter "clicking" 12 times out of 13 attempts. Since it was new I started trouble shooting the power source. I cleaned both engine and battery ground cables along with the B+ cable. Then I took the battery out and tested it = 100% @ 600 CCA. Then I bench tested the starter which performed normally with no load. Then I used a remote starter switch to rule out ignition switch issues. Still mostly "click".
We returned the first starter and traded it for another rebuilt 6V. The 2nd starter worked great right out of the box and we were thrilled. Excited that the starter was finally reliable, I took the 3600 to work today. The trip in went off without a hitch. I changed the oil at our shop in the afternoon. When pulling it out of the shop I had a few failed starting attempts then it worked. On the way home I stopped for beer and came out to another failed starter. After about 25 attempts a intelligent young fellow came up to the door and asked if I needed a push. Driving this truck I've learned there are ALWAYS folks willing to lend a "push" to get me down the road. When I arrived home I was convinced that my battery hadn't been charging so I checked voltage with the engine running = 6.5-7 Volts. Then I assumed the battery must not have enough capacity to crank the engine. I monitored voltage while cranking, or "clicking". With the starter engaged but not cranking I'm seeing 5 volts. It looks like I have another [censored] starter.
Needless to say I'm thoroughly irritated at this point.
Could anyone suggest a quality starter source or rebuilder?
Last edited by JungleJames; 11/21/2015 3:23 AM.