That's why I was so sure and skeptical. My manufacturing training told me no one would paint screws and keep them in a bin to get chipped. Handle them, screw them on and get chipped, touch them up.
I realize now that maybe back then it was not seen as a big deal to touch up. They did not refine mfg techniques. Cost cutting was not in the mix yet. Sales, beating the competition and quality was. I figure they didn't want the carbon steel hardware to rust? Craftsmen don't build/paint cars now, assemblers and robots do.
Today it's black anodize or stainless steel or plastic caps covering screws.....or snap on trim with push on's.
I have to admit, I have painted some hardware during an old truck build. Mostly motor stuff.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn