A couple of summers ago, as my family and I were traveling to my grandmother's house, I was pointing out old cars and trucks along the way and kidding (halfway) with my son about building a hotrod for him to drive when the time came (he was about 14 at the time). He showed absolutely NO interest whatsoever. Little did I know, someone else was paying attention and listening to every word.
As we pulled into the road to my grandmother's house, I noticed a 1959 Chevy 3100 hiding in the weeds that I had never seen before. Thinking nothing of it, we proceeded to greet my Mamaw and visit. My then 13 year old daughter disappeared for a short time and when she returned stated flatly "Dad- I want to rebuild that truck for me to drive". She had been down the road taking pictures of it with her iPhone.
Thinking that this was a temporary fancy, I brushed it off. 6 months later, after constant reminding (and making her ride around with no a/c and the windows down in Louisiana to get a taste of what it would be like), I spotted a 1959 3100 on eBay (attempts to contact the owner of the other truck were fruitless). I finally decided to go for it and paid way too much for a pretty rough truck. We drove up to northeast TX to get it, and hauled it back on a trailer.
Two years later and sporadic work on the truck I find myself on a deadline! Finally got it down to the frame and have started working from there up. We're planning a resto/mod, changing only items deemed necessary for safety and practicality for her to use it as a daily driver. Installing seat belts, moving the gas tank to under the frame, changing the electrical system to 12 volt with an alternator, upgrading to power brakes and an electric fuel pump are a few of the changes we're making. We're still 'discussing' installing a/c.
I spent several summers with my papaw riding around in and driving his old 67 chevy with a straight 6, no a/c and 3 on the tree and find myself longing for those days. Wish us luck on our deadline!



Chuck
Lake Charles, LA

Last edited by Peggy M; 05/02/2025 5:24 PM.