Hope this is the right forum or please redirect.

I need to insulate for heat and sound on the inside of the engine cover of a semi COE Chev design. The engine cover was originally insulated with 1/4 in. asbestos soft padding stapled and clipped in place. Asbestos has mainly been carried away by mice along with all the wiring insulation.

I have cruised the Web and seen alot of stuff out there some of which is known to drip and melt at high temperature. On the exhaust side of the engine I have about 3/4 clearance to the engine cover.

Truck is a 1940 Canadian Military Pattern cab #11 with 4x4 right hand drive. Now outfitted with a stock rebuilt 59 Chev 261 that just bolted in place with the usual water pump mods.

All the dog house cover surfaces are flat....no curves....maybe 10+ square feet.

My preference would be to find under hood insulation material similar to what we use to find under GM hoods..... some synthetic fiber pad with a black or silver(alum.) face to reflect heat. I do not want to use material that has manufacturers name written all over it.

Professional big trucks are insulated with Dynamat covered with a Heatshield aluminize covering ........ but only see it used inside the firewall..... mine will be exposed to oil drips, water, coolant, dirt.....

As any one done that..... what did you use.....where did you get it from.

Thanks for you help/comments/suggestions.

Bob C


Bob C.
CMP Heaven
The Hammond Barn