So I finally got the 235 out of my 58 1/2 ton and took it to the machine shop today. My original intent was to completely go through it so I would be starting from a known point. Machine shop owner who I went to high school with measured the bore because there were no markings on either it or the Pistons, and it's been bored 80 over!
His thinking is it can only be honed at this point, and he thinks it will not have a long and fruitful life. I asked him to go ahead and magnaflux the block and head to see what other problems we may have while I think about this development.
The pistons look good, the cylinder walls are pretty good, the crank needs turning, and there were no bent rods or any other apparent issues. There was about a 1/2 inch of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan, but it had never had an oil filter and it was running before teardown.
What do you guys think about spending a slug of money on an engine in this condition? Obviously if there are cracks anywhere I'm going with plan B. But----plan B hasn't been determined yet. This is my first experience with this situation, so I would appreciate the benefit of your collective knowledge.
Last edited by TimBryant; 12/04/2014 2:13 AM. Reason: To refine a description