grin
I used red oak for my bed - the first time. I left the underside uncoated - just bare wood. On top I stained it and applied four coats of Marine Spar Varnish with UV protedtion - as used on many wooden boat decks. Within months , the finish began to bubble. :mad: I resanded and reapplied another two coats of Marine Spar Varnish. The same thing happened. :mad: I took the truck up to the paint store and asked the fellow there to look at it and tell me what might be wrong. He told me he was sure that I needed to treat ALL sides of the lumber the same, but to be sure he would ask the rep from the company who supplied him with the Marine Spar Varnish. wink The answer was the same. :o I bought some new bed lumber and resized and refitted everything and coated all sides with stain and Marine Spar Varnish - 6 coats. smile That was seven years ago and not one problem, plus the underside of the bed looks as good as the top side of the bed! wink


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane