I did both tests in the article. With wire hooked up to field on regulator and grounded to engine on the other end, I increased rpm. The amp gauge didn't move. So according to the article, this is a sign of a bad generator. The second test, where I leave the wire attached to the field terminal of the regulator and strike the other end of the wire against the block, does produce a spark, although a weak one. According to the article, no spark means the generator isn't working. Does that mean that since I got a spark the generator is working? Based on the two tests it seems I got conflicting answers.
I have the idle set at around 475 rpm which is what the manual says. At idle what kind of voltage should I be getting at the generator and also at the battery. With all accessories on, what should be the voltage at generator and battery?
Lastly, the amp gauge didn't move on any tests or when I turned on all the accessories. The needle just stayed right in the middle.