Well, it's been about half year since I've provided any update information. It's because I've been having too much fun enjoying my '49 3800 and now my latest (and third) project, a 1953 3600 3/4 ton truck. Since I last wrote, I focused on the "cleaning up" the 3800 cab interior while maintaining the truck's survivor status.

I first removed some excess steel on the back of the truck in order to install a "new-old" tailgate. I then patched some holes in the cab floor with POR and fiberglass and installed an original-style rubber floor mat.

I redid both doors that made a world of difference - new hinges, weather stripping, inner and outer seals, felt channel guides, and "new-old" interior door panels. I then replaced half of the windshield and rear window glass with "new-old" glass from another truck along with new weather stripping. I installed a new headliner and cab wind lace and reupholstered the seat with reproduction stock material.

Finally, I installed turn signals and added dual filament sockets in front to keep the running lights in addition to turn signals. I added a second rear tail light as well. These along with seat belts I added earlier make me feel much safer on the road.

The cab interior is now very comfortable and clean even though it still sports its original paint. (Photos on my Photobucket page.) I've put 400 miles on the truck this summer and I have to say what a joy it is to drive on those cool summer mornings with windows cracked, vents open and the country air blowing in the cab. With hands gripping the large steering wheel and the hum of the Stovebolt 216 at work, it takes me back to a simpler time. What a delight and it makes all the minor setbacks and frustrations well worth it!

It's fall again (2014) and I'm once again attempting to resurrect another survivor to be mechanically sound and safe to drive - this time a 1953 Chevrolet 3600 (3/4 ton). This one seems to be fighting me each step of the way but ultimately patience, perseverance, and passion will win out! Stay tuned...



1952 Chevy 1/2-Ton 3100
1949 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
1953 Chevy 3600 3/4 Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket