Gents,
This is all good information. The clutch not engaging/dis-engaging; this is the one thing that is preventing the truck from moving on it's own power.

The gears can be moved from 1st to 5th and reverse when the truck is off. When the truck is on and it is in neutral, the clutch doesn't engage enough to put the the trans in to gear. When the clutch is engaged it does separates enough to see it move but not enough to release.

I didn't have a hand in installing the clutch/trans so I will be dropping the trans and start all over. I do not recall the splines being extended at all so while I am checking on that, I'll give the trans a once over and check the speedo drive. (From a different post: T 5 Speedo Cable)

Bread
.

Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Originally Posted by flattop49
That will be the next problem right now I have no idea any suggestions?

Your T5 has either a dark blue drive gear or a red one. The dark blue has 7 teeth and the red has 9 teeth. Make sure you know what color yours has.

Next, figure out what rear you have.
Once you know what the drive gear and rear diff is, you can use THIS link to enter tire size and figure out what DRIVEN gear you will need to give you the right speedo reading. Some driven gears are no longer made. That might cause problems in finding the correct one. I hear that the 24 tooth is still available.

One other option would be to use a ratio adapter to reduce the speedo cable turns if the reading is too high. I have a Stewart Warner 0.7333 reducer that came off an S10 T5 and I see them for sale on eBay from time to time.

My particular combo will likely be a 28" tire, 3.73 rear end and a 7 tooth drive gear. That means I need a 19 tooth driven gear. If I go with a 29" tire, then I will need an 18 tooth driven gear.

I hope this helps.
Jay
Note: The link doesn't work.
.



1939 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton
"There and back -- repeat"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery