went into my local PPG dealer for some clarity about epoxy primer over slight to moderate rust. he said never use paint striper on rusted parts, that the acid from the stripper can get trapped in the pitted metal and ruin the paint.
he also said the same for self etching primer. He said the only way is to sand blast then epoxy primer then do your body work or bondo.Im assuming patch panels either before sand blasting or after epoxy primer.
he also said that the epoxy primers are hard to sand after the 72 hour window.
so is the best process to spray a high build primer over the epoxy before the need to sand and then do the body work so I'm not jumping back and forth blasting and priming and sanding?
Now I'm no painter,Just looking for the right way to get the job done using good materials that are easiest to work with.
Ill be doing all the work myself. Not sure if I'm getting the right info from the PPG dealer.I have read a lot this and seen guys do it in a lot of different ways.
Looking for advise

Bill





These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler