Originally Posted by tclederman
DaveBP,

As asked above, what year and engine?

Carl.

Many people use the term "bell housing" but that term was not used by GM in regards to 47-55st trucks - the term "clutch housing" is what GM used in Shop Manuals and in the Master Parts Catalog.

A new/novice member who reads "bell housing" here but reads "clutch housing" in documentation would have difficulty understanding what is being referred to.

As a further confusion, the term "flywheel housing" was the term sometimes used in early pre stovebolt-six years Shop Manuals.
I had not noticed what GM called that part. The complex English language often calls for clarification during dialog. Since I know this part as a bell housing, and the OP knows it as a clutch housing, it would seem to me that it would be helpful to him and I to make sure that we are talking about the same part. My apologies to ALL of the members (new/novice or otherwise) confused by my misuse of the term bell housing.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission