Like I said, it was a real head scratcher. While the problem was ongoing, we attended the NSRA Nat South. My buddy took the car to the Mich. Street Rod Assoc. repair shop at the show. They tried a little of everything and couldn't figure it out. Finally someone suggested putting gobs of RTV around the intake manifold as a 'why not try it' fix. Let the car set overnight to dry. It then ran slightly better. Then we knew we were on to something. When we pulled the intake it was leaking many places. He decided to go with the big dollar gasket to solve the problem once and for all. If and when I pull my 350 intake, I'm going to bite the same bullet and buy that gasket.
As a side bar. I have followed this car for many miles going to far away shows. The car after sitting at a red light would put oil smoke out the right side on pull away (not much smoke). We just returned from the NSRA Nationals. I noticed that the smoke is now gone. Don't know why the new gasket would fix that but the smoke is gone.
Last edited by beltfed; 08/06/2014 2:33 PM. Reason: Spelling