Maybe this should be listed in the "RUST" section of the board.

Anyhow, on my 54 I have some minor,(some major) but yet very noticeable rust problems. On both sides of the floorboard it is rusted out, all around a lot of parking brake pedal on the driver's side and up the panel just about an 1 inch or so just to left of the parking brake then above the floorboard on the side. Then probably about the same on the passenger's side. On the passengers side I can see that the front cab body bolt is pushed upwards. MORE RUST and then I can see it move up and down as I rock the cab up and down.

Now if you looking at the front of the truck you can slightly notice the passenger's side is slightly lower than the other. I am assuming that the cab support is more rusted out than what it appears to be, just giving it a visual from underneath. I am sure this is a common place to expect rust, along with the rear cab corners, something that is in excellent shape on mine. No bondo or rust, I guess over the years keeping them drain holes open, saved them.

NOW, my question is it possible and/or feasible to just go in and plasma cut the rusted pieces out and fabricate some new sheet metal and using my handy dandy Lincoln 110 volt gas wire welder and patch in new pieces? I know I can buy new replacement panels, but not as cheap as I can make them myself.

I would much rather just have the time and take the cab off and do it up right and install a complete new kickboard, but it just isn't possible to do it at this time. The door hinge supports are solid on both sides and everything else from what I can see appears to be in solid shape. I am thinking that maybe I can block up the cab with some wood and preform this task.

I'm not a body person at all, but who really cares? if the floorboard and kickboard not just perfect, I really don't care. Heck there's a rubber floor mat that hides it all anyhow, LOL!

My main thought is for safty, it looks like there are maybe 4 bolts that holds the cab on and with one of the front cab supports rotted out, makes me just a little worried. Usually when I start noticing rust on a truck, that vehicle is GONE! I don't have that option here. I just love this old truck for some strange reason and since it's not my main truck, I don't mind doing little things here and there.

Now, back to my question again. is it possible that I can do this or am I asking for even more trouble? To be quite honest, it looks like it's straight forward task with just a couple bend brakes, weld it in and be done with it. BUT, I usually get in trouble for thinking this way on other so-called "little tasks" like this.

Thanks John


1954 Chevrolet 3800 series flatbed dump