(...) I do not know how you would know if the left and right attachment points in the CSN illustration are from the front of the gauge or from the rear of the gauge?
as I pointed out above, ALL the schematics are drawn with things exactly positioned as they are in the truck, the orientation is determined by the line across the drawing labeled "DASH PANEL" - viewed from the "tail light end" of the drawing you are facing the dash and the gauges are facing you as if they are "lying on their faces" .... if viewed from the "headlight end", you are seeing the gauges from the back, your left and right have swapped
and I see I made a mistake above,
on this clear 51 schematic the heavier wire isn't the +, which is shown at the post with 2 wires on the driver side [left], sorry David [I changed the post above]
Bill