Joe,

It sure sounds like a bad starter to me too. The key switch passes very little current to pull the solenoid in. The key switch could be worn out, but probably not shorted out.

I don't know the particulars on a '60 Apache, but will assume it is 12 volt, and has a "R" terminal on the solenoid to pass battery voltage to the coil on START. If your starter/solenoid was farked up, as it sounds, there might be a scenario where this bypass terminal remained hot when you shut the engine down with the key switch.

You didn't mention how you finally did shut the rig off! A starter current draw meter would show you quickly if your starter was drawing excess current at it tried to start the engine.

Batteries can be tough to diagnose, so assuming yours is good, I would check both cables for cleanliness and make sure there are no breaks or loose connections. Take a look at the small connections on the solenoid. If the wire from the key-switch is touching the bypass wire to the coil, it could cause run-on.

If your battery is less than 4 years old and the connections are good, I will bet on a funky starter.

Is there a post missing on this thread? Baldy's reply appears to address something that I don't see on the page, or in your previous posts.

Stuart