The 261 in my 37 has a Howard M4F, .430 lift, 206 degrees duration at .050 lift, Its mild a solid lifter job, just a little hotter than the stock 261 cam. The original 261 cams are the same as the one used in the first 6 cylinder Vettes.The idle has just the slightest lope,smooth power from idle to around 4500 rpm.I had a 235, cammed with a Clifford #260 mechanical cam,.430 lift,212 degrees at .050,In my opinion the Clifford cam wasted too much low end for a small gain on top the way my engine was tuned.Maybe more cubes would have made better use of it.I tow a travel trailer with the old trucks, so I don't need a hotter cam.Besides , reving 40 year old steel up high to get at the power scares me a little.My wife's 51 pick up uses a fresh stock 261 engine.Its got good power, but when reved ,the 261 in the 37 is way more responsive.This 6 cylinder hot rodding is fun, I don't take it too seriously.
[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Tony ]